There has been a reported case of West Nile virus in a 12 year old girl in Valencia county. This is right in our back yard. Make sure you keep yourself and you pets protected.
Can dogs get West Nile virus? Yes they can.
West Nile is primarily transmitted by mosquito, there are cases where it may have been transmitted via tick. Better to be safe than sick, especially when it is so easy to treat your pet with Frontline Flea and Tick.
How can I protect myself and my dog?
- Stay indoors at dawn, dusk, and in the early evening.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants whenever you are outdoors.
- Wear bug shirts. These are shirts that are made to naturally repel mosquitos.
- Apply insect repellent to yourself and your clothing. You can get pet safe insect repellant to spray on them as well.
- Spray your backyard. If you have a large mosquito problem, you may want to talk to your exterminator about getting your property treated for mosquitos.
- Keep the screens on your door and windows shut.
- Don’t leave water standing to get stagnant. Mosquitos are bred in water. The less standing water you have, the fewer mosquitos you are likely to have.
If you think that your dog may have contracted West Nile, call you vet for an appointment to get evaluated. Though there is no cure for West Nile, the symptoms can be treated.